Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Week 4

Share
It has been 3 weeks since Operation:No More Diapers began. You faithful readers deserve an update. You non-faithful readers can go to hell. :)

I'm thrilled to announce that when it comes to being at home with Mommy and Daddy, Theo is 100% toilet trained. Still speaking in daytime terms, of course. Nighttime will be a whole 'nother fish to fry, to be tackled later. Hehe, fish...tackled. I mixed metaphors and blended them nicely. I'm so proud of myself.

Anyway, as long as he's home and with one of us, he without fail pees and poops in the toilet without prompting. He always lets us know when he's about to go, then goes. And after he poops, one of us has to go look before he flushes. The other day I was collapsed on the couch, exhausted, and when Theo called me in to look, I asked Joe entirely seriously, "Babe, can you do the looking today?" After a minute we realized the full hilariousness of that question and cracked up. So now whoever is up and about does the looking. I like to look whenever I can, because the bigger the poop, the more thrilled I am that it's in the toilet and not crushed in a diaper with the remnants on his butt for me to clean.

Theo still needs to be prompted to go to the bathroom at school, at Sharon's (the sitter) and with friends and family. In other words, anyone but us. But at least he's fully cooperative with other people and so the accidents are very minimal. Not sure why he doesn't ask them...maybe he's shy? But then again, he doesn't ask us to go when we're outside, either. Only at home. So, this is just something that will keep progressing with time.

Here's Uncle Elliot's account of their visit from last week, when Gloria babysat for the day and Elliot joined them later.

"Theo was great. We were on the treadmill for a while, then I made him watch Jimmy Kimmel. I randomly put Animal Crossing in on Gamecube and the first thing you see is a train, so he said "choo choo train!" I do wanna kill Joe because he kept saying stuff like "two eyes, two noses" or whatever random crap and Gloria said that you told her that Joe showed him some weird funhouse mirror or something. But yeah first I made him pee, he went standing up. Then about 5 minutes later he started farting which amused him (and me) to no end. I then sat him down to poop. He dropped a huge log, then I asked him if he was done and he said no. He kept trying and trying and eventually said, "I can't, finished." He sure is a smelly boy, I am impressed. Another fun part was trying to figure out what terminology you use for everything. Do you say tushy like mom? Sigh. Not that I can think of a more suitable alternative. Another funny thing is that when you ask him body parts on his face, he generally points to them but when you ask about his tongue, he just sticks it out. He's really a good kid who is smarter than people give him credit for, he is just a bit quiet unless you engage him in conversation, but he definitely answers your questions as best he can. He is really a great kid and I look forward to hanging out with him again in greater length."



(In case you're wondering, no, I absolutely DO NOT say tushy. Sorry, mom.)

No comments: