Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Universal Parental "Sad Smile" Face

Share
With Joe working late last night, Theo and I got Chinese take-out (don't you love how I feel the need to justify that?). I set down my garlic chicken and fried rice combo on the table, along with a bowl and a spoon. I ditched my hungry, anxious monkey, and told him Mommy would be right back. I felt guilty having to use the bathroom while he was pawing the table, desperate to start eating, so I tried to hurry.

Upon my return, I did a double take. There he was, my big boy, sitting at the table, spooning the fried rice from the styrophome carton into his bowl. He looked up at me and smiled, as if to say, "see mom? I didn't need you." Unfortunately,at least in that moment, he was right. It is parents, not children, who experience growing pains, and this was one of many I have yet to experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how resourceful we can be when hungry! (And I should know) So proud of our big boy! :)