Thursday, April 03, 2008

Hospital Tour

Share
We toured the birthing center in our hospital yesterday. This is St. Vincent's hospital; I had Theo at Mt. Sinai, where I was born. It was fun getting to meet three other pregnant couples. I was hoping to make a pregnant friend but they were all in their upper 30's, so as usual I was the outcast. I swear, no one in New York City has babies before 35. If I lived in the midwest I'd fit right in, but here I stick out like a sore thumb. Plus, I look even younger than I am, so people think I'm a teen mom. I mean, I know I'm at perfect childbearing age, especially physically, but it's annoying that the general NYC public doesn't know it.

Oh, on an unrelated note, this morning an older lady, maybe in her 60's, offered me her seat on the subway after no one else would. I refused it and told her not to worry about it, but I think I offended her. What's this world coming to when old ladies have to give up seats to pregnant ladies? Next, it'll be someone on crutches.

How did I end up rambling? This post was meant to be about the tour! I don't have much to report, it was standard hospital stuff, but it was still fun. When I saw the labor and delivery room, sense memory kicked in and I was immediately brought back to the "having Theo" scene. I could visualize my sweaty, ugly, squirming mess of a self on that bed--just by seeing it! I love sense memory, it fascinates me.

No comments: