Thursday, July 06, 2006

Boat! Boat!

Share
Over the weekend we stayed in our friend Dan's East Hampton house.
Knowing that he would be taking us out on his boat, Dan got Theo a little life preserver.

The weather was smokin' hot, and called for me to hit Dan's luxurious pool. I put on Theo's little Spiderman bathing suit and his life preserver and took him in with me. He initially cried from the shock of the cold water, but it only took seconds for him to realize he was in little kid heaven.

While in the water, Theo pointed to the other side of the pool and eagerly shouted, "Boat!"

Joe and I laughed when we spotted what Theo was pointing to - one of those round tube rafts that you'd see at a water park. I went and got the "boat" and hoisted myself and Theo into it. But he was in no mood to cuddle or relax. He squirmed and struggled until finally I let him back in the water. We spent the next I-don't-know-how-many-minutes with me in the "boat" holding on to him as he floated, kicked, and splashed with glee.





Joe insisted on taking him out once he was turning blue and shivering. After a few minutes of drying off, my fearless child was successfully back in the water. Although it was scary that he would enter the water without help, something he wouldn't dare do a year ago, I was proud of his ability to work the stairs and hold on to the sides of the pool. He only did what he knew he could handle; he's very good that way. Of course, we still got him back out right away, but it was nice to know that he's cautious even when being a daredevil.

That night we rode Dan's motorboat. Theo was in "boat,boat!" ecstasy for a while, but it wasn't long before he was fast asleep in our arms. He was gone by 8:30, missing the fireworks we had the fortune to view from the boat.








He slept until 8:30 the following morning.

No comments: