Thursday, July 27, 2006

It's Official

Share
Gulp! I officially have a son enrolled in preschool. That's just insane. Backpacks, field trips, lockers, packed lunch, school bus...this wasn't supposed to happen for a while! It's entirely overwhelming!

Joe and I couldn't be happier. I know I did a 180 on this school thing. At first I couldn't come to terms with Theo being in a special needs school. But then again, I had images of him being in a room with severely autistic children and him picking up their mannerisms.

But this place wasn't like that. The kids are like Theo, who are just delayed. It's a very "normal" preschool, and the kids just happen to get speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy.

I am thrilled that Theo's classroom teacher will be Grace, the woman whose class I had observed last month. She was kind enough to give us a tour yesterday, since it was Joe's first time there.

Grace's classroom is adorable. It has a kitchen area, a reading area, a computer area, lockers, and all kinds of other stuff you'd see in a typical classroom.

There's a computer room with tiny computers and mouses. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen. They'll go in there a few times a week.

The playground is great, so is the indoor gym. They take neighborhood walks, they are blocks from the pier, so they take the kids for a city view. The kids often say they're going to Manhattan...it's hysterical.

All the teachers I saw were great with the kids, even the ones who didn't know anyone was watching. The kids were genuinely happy.

Joe and I left feeling great. I told him that the last time I was there, I saw the 5 year olds in graduation practice. I caught Joey wiping tears from his face...

School starts after labor day...yowza!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»